Friday, 11 March 2011

Gothic Altered Box



Hello friends

Well its finally the weekend YIPPEE!!
I'm full of all things snotty at the mo, so don't come too near!!
Its been a busy old week for me, I just cannot wait to see my bed later....me thinks a duvet day is in order tomorrow in the hope of banishing this head cold.
Anyway I showed you a sneaky peek of my latest make in my last post and finally got round to getting better some photos done.
Ive tried to incorporate metal because..........
Over at Simon Says Stamp Challenge  the challenge is for Metal!! So I would like to enter this piece, pop over and have a looky at the super talented folk and their fab makes.

Ok back to the box, Well I have spent most of the week sporting black hands and grubby looking fingernails, this box started off white, then gold then white again until I decided to go all dark and plumped for the black.....yes I am very indecisive!
I love dark, Gothic looks so this was just down my street, the box was a blank(think its a do-crafts one) I eventually used black Adirodack dabber paint, two coats were applied. I lined the inside of the box with Lost and found Papers for the Lord tim Holtz. I then applied tissue tape to the edges and sealed the whole thing with Claudine Helmuth matte medium, this stuff is fantastic for sealing your work, I am in short supply so need to get more.

I used Paperartsy flower die cut and cut out my flowers with the metal again all Paperarsty and stamped them with the matching Hot Picks HPXT02
I then added some more black paint to give it a more worn look.  I need more practice to make the flowers, but just love how they all layer up.
Then I added a metal lock with brads and added the configurations feet to the bottom.  The last thing I did was to give it an inking with some cut and dry foam, just to shabby it up inside and out with black soot distress ink.

I had to stop with this box as could of added more to it but I do think less is more, I actually really enjoyed altering this box, I would love to know what you think so feel free to leave a comment as always love to re-visit to see what you have been up too. Have a fab weekend

Kazxx

(P.s. The Vagabond story continues............You know how I hid the VB a whole weekend and how I deviously concocted a small white lie to OH about the cost of the VB well............. I had this lovely green notice waiting for me when I got back from work.....yep it is a speeding offence! The day I drove like a MANIAC   I mean like a desperate woman to my local craft shop to collect the VB well it cost me another £80 in a  fine and a day out on a chavie,  boy racer, how to drive without speed workshop......ooooopppsss!!!!! So just take note........if you feel the urge to purchase a VB, just have some control....I wish I had!)

29 comments:

  1. lol don't need to control myself concerning the VB, not available here... yet! but i'll keep your story in mind! your box looks...how does Mario says it? Wowza! i love the romantic shapes grunged down by all the dark colours. Yummi! and those metallic pieces realy work! great art :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, oh, I recognize myself 110% in both the hiding-story and the speeding one- they call me "Rally-Tina" here in Sweden- meaning- driving-like-a-maniac- and that´s what I´d do 2 for the VB- haven´t arrived here either- and I promise to remember your ticket once it does- and I agree completely with Papillon here- your work looks WOWZA- so I hope you can make another one- sell that- and pay the ticket- or simply send the box to the Police instead of boring money, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. Dear Papillon- please tell me the name of the store that sells those great aprons you & your friend were wearing at the event- please- I totally forgot it- Love from Tina in Sweden!! info@tisdagarmedtina.se

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow the box is truly stunning....and would love to own it (but shant be speeding over to get it though lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This box looks so fabolous - think youmade the right choice to go black with it!!
    I saw your tweet about the speeding - makes it an expensive must have, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovin the box, beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kaz, Wow love the shabby chic effect, I like dark colours too, so this totally floats my boat lol. Oh the VB saga ... how unlucky can you be, so how much did the VB finally cost you lol, think my VB purchase will be online, safer that way. Hope you feel better soon, full of the cold here too yuk! and it's snowing again for foof's sake. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That box is amazing! Well worth having mucky hands for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous box, love love all the metal and the black is so striking with the metal pieces, need to finish my piece this weekend. Shame about the parking fine but I am sure your new machine will be worth it LOL. Tracy Evans x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning Kaz! Such a shame about the fine but you'll have lots of fun with your VB x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your box is stunning Kaz and the flower looks perfect with it.
    Oooooooops re: getting caught!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVe, LOvE, LoVe, LoVE your creation...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This box is brilliant Kaz....it looks like you put loads and loads of hard work into it....you are very clever indeed. Naughty, naughty on the speeding fine but I am sure the Vagabond is worth that extra £80 lol.
    Chat soon
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! you are a wonderful artist....

    ReplyDelete
  15. You must make a scrapbook page to tell that story lol
    C
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. great box - like you I'm not into forward planning and keep going until I'm happy with the colour - you made a great choice - sorry to hear about your fine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your altered box is stunning Kaz, I love the gothic black, it's very elegant with the metal adornments!
    OMG!!! I can't believe you got a speeding ticket, bless you... us crafters need our heads examined with the things we do... ROFL!
    anyways, the Design Team & I are so pleased that you joined the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge this week!
    Thank you, HuGs Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooops, sorry about the speeding fine! Great box, love the tissue tape!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The box is absolutely stunning, i love it, and OH NO on the speeding front..the price we pay for our craft ah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. One word....LOVE!! This is simply stunning. Sorry to hear about your fine but I think the VB was probably worth it! lol ;)
    Love and hugs, Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely adore your customised box honey.. very classy and elegant looking xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE this!!!
    Sorry about the ticket ... ouch!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Kaz! Love your altered Gothic box. It's brilliant! LOVE the large metal flower! Really finishes off the top of the box! Thanks for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kaz just yummy, truly fantastic, what talent.

    On another note ... speeding fine (how cruel am I, rolled on the floor laughing when I read this) ... sorry sweets ... oh what a tangled web we weave ... yada, yada, yada and all in the name of crafting.

    Promise me that when you post your first creation made with something from the Vagabond don't mention it because I will automatically think of SPEEDING FINE!!!

    Hugs Shirley x x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi me again just to say hope you feel better soon and if you have a duvet day tomorrow you can always take VB with you.
    Hugs Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  26. love the box-and the VB story!! Enjoy your chavvi racer course (worth it to keep the points down!)- the things we do for craft!
    kyla

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Kaz,
    Glad you've got over your cold now. I did try to leave a comment with a million and a half excuses for the Vagabond but blogger ate that comment, let's hope it's not hungry this morning.
    Love your box and your metal flower is fabulous!
    Yikes and s**@@e over the speeding ticket. The mobile camera van has been on Hadley Park Road and Britannia Way (opposite the caravan place) this last week, and I'm hoping I braked quick enough...
    Glad your VB has been able to come out of hiding...you could always sell your Bigshot, and buy some more Holtz goodies!
    Gini
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Corrrrrrrr, I LOVE THIS!!! IT IS AMAZING!!! sorry about your speeding ticket... surely they could let you off cos it was an emergency trip lol

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for passing by the little shabby shed....your comments mean so much xx