Pages

Sunday, 30 June 2013

4th of july.....


Hello friends
How are you? Hope you are all well 

First of all a Mahoosive
thank you for all the lovely supportive  comments from my previous post here
I am so grateful for each and everyone  and
I'm so excited for what  the future holds ........... Bring it on!

This week across the pond its the celebration of Americas Independence day, 
I've been really inspired by Tim Holtz  blog ( click here)
This week Tim's been posting lots of Patriotic inspiration........ 
I think you will agree there are some really awesome ideas!

Although I'm a Brit I thought I would try my hand at creating something to celebrate the occasion 
so here's what I did....
I first of all created this hanging,.....
The base was made form corrugated cardboard which I painted with gesso

I really wanted to incorporate some of Tims new  Eclectic Elements fabric (if you have not seen it yet then hop here to see  more )
It really is beautiful fabric to work with..... and I know I'm going to need lots of it!
I made a couple of rosettes using the fabric along with some cotton muslin
(I will post a quick tutorial later in the post)

On my recent trip to NYC I went to a fabulous shop called Tinsel Trading Company 
Oh
 where I bought
some trimmings along with these really cool vintage  Golden Eagles.....as soon as I spotted them I knew I needed them!
They were perfect for this project!
I used distress powders and embossed them to the card
I used my vintage typewriter to type out the words 
The stars were cut out using a sizzix die then embossed with distress powders.
I added an old rusty key and attached it with wire
I made a  another rosette and added another Eagle
Heres a quick tutorial on how to make the base of the rosette:
Take a strip of fabric 
Fold in half
Sew the two ends together 
Take a needle and thread and using a slip stitch sew around the base of the fabric 
When you have gone all the way around pull the thread to create a gathered disc 
(to add detail I added a zig zag stitch at step one)
Repeat with another fabric 
I warn you they get quite addictive to make!

I had some leftovers so i decided to put them to use and create a tag card
I added more rustic stars with some burlap and vintage lace




After a really busy week......Its been a really so good to get back into the shed 
I forgot how much I missed it

Wishing my friends across the pond a Happy Birthday America!
Have a fabulous week and enjoy your celebrations!

As always feel free to leave a comment 
great to know you popped by!

Until next time....
Kaz
 x




30 comments:

  1. Looks great Kaz, love those eagles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous!!! LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous. fabulous. fabulous!!!!! love the details esp those eagles and how the rosettes look with them...just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic Kaz, love the rustic feel to these pieces and the embossing adds wonderful texture. Love them. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS makes my lovely, how cool is the Golden Eagle ... muchly mwahhh xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kaz - I am so excited and happy for you. Taking the big leap of saying goodbye to your day job and into being a full time artist. Every arty girl's dream!

    You must be so excited and nervous all at the same time. I can't wait to see where this new adventure takes you and what you create now you can spend more time in your Little Shabby Shed.

    Big hugs and best wishes for you on your adventure. Can we all come too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! Those golden eagles are just fabulous, clever you have such foresight!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely American Style work Kaz, love those fab material rosettes, must have a go at them. Debbiex

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Awesome projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous makes - those fabric rosettes are so cool!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way too go girlfriend

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool
    Happy craftin
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! Your creations for our celebration are so cool! Love rustic-ness of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Fantasitc projects Kaz.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great creative result Kaz

    kind regards, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love colour scheme and all the textures. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW love these projects xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You do Independent Day wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous creations Kaz, & good for you for following your heart.
    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous make and tutorial hun.

    Great news about taking the plunge with doing this full time, so brave, but I am sure it will be the best move EVER (and yes, I am slightly green!!).

    Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mega fabulous! Love the eagle!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmmm love those rusty stars. I must look at more colors of distress embossing powder. Thanks, Kaz. You are super!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful tribute to your American follows, Kaz! A sincere thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. such a wonderful set! really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are absolutely awesome! You Rock!!! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are absolutely awesome!!! You Rock!!! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the rusts and browns!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love these & Tim's fabulous new fabric too. Thanks for sharing. (I envy you your trip to Tinsel Trading Company! I have wanted to go forever, but it is a bit far from California.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for passing by the little shabby shed....your comments mean so much xx