Wednesday, 10 July 2013

Vintage seaside


 Hello friends

Hope you are all good!
What a beautiful week its been......
I'm really loving the sunshine

Its been a manic week or so, been working, finishing deadlines, teaching and doing all those mum things....sports day, parents evening, school performances etc ......
(I've only got just over a week left....then I'm FREE!whoohoo!)

I finally managed to steal a couple of much needed creative hours this afternoon......
it was Pure HEAVEN!

If you have been following me on facebook you will know that I'm a collector of anything vintage
 I recently bought a box full of old  ephemera...and yes I have zero willpower!
Inside it was full of vintage postcards and photos
It can be quite sad seeing someone's life of memories stuffed into a box and I often buy them just because I cant bare to think of them going into a landfill....
but I also buy them because its really fascinating.....who, where, when etc
I decided to try and use some of them in my makes....

As we are in July .......the summer holidays are nearly here
 I was inspired by this photo of a little girl on the beach 
I used a canvas board  as a base and covered it with gesso and more canvas
I used lots of stitching  and vintage lace.....
I added lots of Idea-ology, some Remnant Rub-ons and typed words using my vintage typewriter
I tried to used lots of layers, corrugated card, tags and thread...
I used antique linen and Walnut stain distress inks by Tim Holtz
I stamp the 1947 using  Stampers Anonymous/Tim Holtz Worn text stamp set in Coffee Archival ink
As always feel free to leave a comment.....I appreciate each and every one
I have a page on facebook here feel free to pop by and like
Have a fabulous week!

Kaz x




29 comments:

  1. This is cool. I too struggle to walk away from old photos at boot fairs. Love all the layers and colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only photos could talk .... though this little girl looks very happy on the beach! Like the way you've given her a new home on your canvas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so me! if only I had a photo of me at the beach!!!! that aside, I love the way this came together without so much of a pause. truly, Kaz, you inspire me! thank you for sharing your wonderful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An awesome piece of Art Kaz!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks gorgeous, Kaz, I love the colours, and that box of photos was a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that's gorgeous and how fabulous to use the photo finds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So love that you could let this girl revisit her summer holidays :-)

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally gorgeous..does it need a good home :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really fab (as usual) crafty chick x x Cant stop looking at all the little details x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful canvas, Kaz!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's gorgeous you are giving these photos a new life. Instead of being 'thrown away' which just seems so sad, you are creating gorgeous artwork with them. Giving them a new life, letting them be seen. I always wonder about people in old photos. Who did they become? What was there story? There's just something special about the antique photos isn't there.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this, all those layers! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Insanely fabulous! Love all the texture and stitching, and the amazing composition and layering...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just lovely!! I would love it on my wall!!!! and kudos to you for the lucky find in your ephemera!! That stuff is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great combinations that look amazing together.

    kind regards, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful piece Kaz ~I so love the way you layer all your elements. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this gorgeous layered canvas, i like all the little bits and pieces you've used to tell the story fabulous x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is looking great! Very atmospheric & cool summer colours are fresh on this hot sunny day! Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too can't stand to see old photos and stuff like that for sell in places. It's like, why in the world would someone give away their memories...it's sad. So glad you have these new life, although we don't know how they really are. I love the photo of the girl...so precious. Your whole piece is just wonderful...vintage goodness! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just gorgeous, Kaz! You are right in that there is a lot of detail, but fun to keep searching to discover it! My favorite element? Why, your trademark stitching, of course! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a fantastic piece of artwork!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it Kaz know what you mean about the photos
    Happy craftin
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is sooooo beautiful! I can't stop looking at it! Absolutely LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic Kaz, what a softie you are and what a fab make you have produced here. I love it !!

    Have a great weekend

    Annie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is absolutely gorgeous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is fantastic Kaz.
    C xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. just gorgeous Kaz. I am an Aussie, Born in England. My mum was born in Wales, the equal youngest (a twin) of 15 children. we came to Australia when I was 8. All my cousins are still there, and i have found many of them through Facebook. I recently, received some photos of my Uncles and Aunts from childhood upwards, even some photos of my Uncles in the trenches during WW2. I treasure these pictures and couldn't dare part with them. I would love to create a keepsake like you have here, it is awesome. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a gorgeous make! Totally fab with so many awesome details. That sweet photo reminds me of the boy's report cards we found at the flea market with all those notes to the parents about his behavior. Wish I'd picked those up!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really love your altered art pieces, with found objects!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    Cecile

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for passing by the little shabby shed....your comments mean so much xx