Monday, 26 August 2013

New Stencils


 Hello friends!

Hope you are good!
Summer holidays are nearly over.....wow they flew by!
been trying to squeeze every last minute of this week......
its been really busy times......
I thought I would share some quickie tutorials using the new Tim Holtz layering stencils
have you seen them??
Here's what they look like!
they are now available from Art from the Heart here 


The stencils are the size of a Ranger #10 tag,
you can use them with so many mediums 
and I have to say I'm so loving the effects you get with them.....
So here's some ideas as to how you can use them.....
Gesso
I used the stencil (honeycomb)
with Claudine Helmuths gesso


1. Using an old store card spread some Gesso onto a heat mat

2. Next place the stencil on top of the Gesso and spread the Gesso through the stencil

3. The Gesso will seep through to the underside of the stencil, pick up the stencil and place onto a tag using the store card carefully burnish over the top of the stencil
(the Gesso will stencil onto the tag....remember to wipe clean your stencil)

4.When the Grsso is dry, use a blending tool and distress ink and blend over the tag
(I used mowed grass)

5. Take a wet wipe and swipe it over the tag.....the stencilled gesso will really stand out
(I also added areas of Gesso just with the store card, randomly on the tag)

6. When the tag was dry I used peacock feathers to the edges and sewed around the tag

7. Apply some black soot distress paint to your heat mat and using some cut and dry foam apply the paint through the layering stencil

8.To finish choose an image and stamp using Rangers Archival ink
(I'm really messy but If you don't like the idea of getting paint on your stencil just use black soot distress ink)


Dylusions
The second tutorial is using the new Dylusions Ink pad with distress inks.......
I love the  backgrounds the ink pad creates and along with the layering stencil they work perfectly together! 
1. You will need two dylusions inks, spray them  into the foam of the ink pad

2. Take a tag and place on top of the ink pad, lift on and off until your happy with the background and dry with a heat tool

3.Take a blending tool and distress ink and blend the ink through the stencil (I used eye chart)

4. Take your chosen image and stamp in Archival ink 

Batik Effect
This is one of my favourite techniques

1. Take the layering stencil and place over the top of a #10 manila tag, then using a blending tool blend distress ink (wild Honey) through the layering stencil

2. Remove  the stencil (oops I forgot to do that in my photo!) Cover the tag in clear embossing powder,then shake off powders onto a scrap piece of card  (dont worry if its not all covered in the powder.....it will still give a great effect)

3. Using a heat tool, heat emboss the embossing powders

4. Take a blending tool and blend over Walnut Stain distress ink all over the tag

5.Take a wet wipe and sweep over the tag to remove the distress ink from the embossed pattern

6.Place a scrap piece of paper over the top of your tag, then using a hot iron press
down, the heat will lift the embossed powders onto the scrap paper and leave a batik look on your tag
(remember irons are HOT!! so  please be extra careful)

7. As before use cut and dry to apply distress paints through the stencil using cut and dry foam
( Alternately If you don't like the idea of getting paint on your stencil just use black soot distress ink)

8. Stamp your image using Archival ink

Are you still with me??lol
OK last one nice and easy.......

Distress Inks

1.Using a blending tool blend broken china ink onto the tag

2. Place the honeycomb stencil over the tag and blend another colour of distress ink over the top
(I used peacock feathers)

3. Stamp image in archival and repeat applying black soot distress paint through the stencil using cut and dry foam 

Hope you found the quickie tutorials helpful
If you've not seen the Layering stencils then check out the links at the bottom of the post
I LOVE them and possibly NEED them all!!

As always feel free to leave a comment
great to know you popped by!

I've best get a wriggle on still Soooo much to do.........
got an exciting few days ahead....
off to pack!

bye for now
Kaz x





28 comments:

  1. I love the tags & I need ALL of the stencils. Thanks for the great tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to get the stencils sometime this week. LOVE what you've done with them, Kaz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Kaz what great tutorials, just love that honeycomb stencil it will be so useful on Tags, your work is stunning. DebbieX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kaz! My stencils are being shipped as we speak, and now I know exactly how to get started,thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are gorgeous. Looks like something else going on the list... have a great time, i guess you're going to Tim's class....!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look awesome Kaz, such great ideas on how to use the New stencils with older products.Thanks for the inspiration. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for a great tutorial, not sure about the "thanks" for extending my wants & needs list though, I sometimes wish Tim would stop dreaming up quite so much great stuff :-(

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome tutorial my friend :-)) Love the batik effect - I used to do that years ago with acrylic paints - I had forgotten! You make me feel like getting the iron out (and I can't say that happens very often!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These demos were great Kaz. I've just bought the stencils and it's fab seeing what I an do with them. Thanks for the ideas xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the demos Kaz. I've just bought these stencils, so it was great for me to see how I could use them

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much Kaz, such wonderful ideas! Love your artsy stencil projects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the tags and tutorial. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those stencils are amazing and you've done some great tutorials for them! I'm so jealous...we don't have the new stencils here yet!!! I'm about to die to get my hands on them! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips, love the results. Looks like I "need" to go shopping!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are fabulous!
    Groetjes Karin

    ReplyDelete
  16. THanks Kaz...I have a few of the new stencils and just love them.

    CRafty Hugs

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome stenciling!!! I can't wait to get mine! Love your techniques and tags here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wowwww, very beautiful!


    Hugs and have a nice day,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Kaz. I had fogotoen some of these techniques. just love the Honeycomb stencil. cant wait to get mine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant tutorial Kaz and stunning end results as per normal. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the education and demo....wonder how I missed hearing about this new product.......wow glad I stopped by
    Hugs deb

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those new stencils are amazing! Love the bright colors you choose and amazing techniques! So inspiring! Thank you for sharing ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow... thanks for the tutorials! These turned out fabulous! You are one awesome artist! Have a wonderful week!!! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are fabulous techniques! I need these stencils! Thank you for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. For the gesso technique, would it look the same if I applied the stencil and gesso directly to the tag? Why the extra step of first putting the gesso on my mat etc? I'm just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Val

      The reason for putting the gesso onto the heat mat is I only want a little area of the stencil that way I can use the finer part of stencil to stamp with, if I applied the gesso through the stencil I would have a more of a honecomb stencil.....hope that makes sense
      thanks
      kazx

      Delete

Thanks so much for passing by the little shabby shed....your comments mean so much xx