Pages

Friday, 28 February 2014

Tutorial - Vintage Cutlery Pocket

Hello friends....
 
Hope you are good!
Whoohoo spring is nearly here
and the sun has even been shining!!
 
Its been a really busy few weeks here,
 lots of things going on and not enough hours to fit them all in... 
 but I took some time out from the chaos to create...
I was thinking
Its been a while since I shared a tutorial and
  after getting my mitts on  some of the new Tim Holtz stamps,
  I was  inspired to create something useful
to house some of my  growing vintage cutlery collection....
I knew this Stamp was perfect for what I had in mind.....
 
 It also meant I could use some of my French vintage lace.....

 You will need:
A piece of 8 x 8 Canvas square (Paper mania bare basics)
Brown parcel paper
Stampers Anonymous/Tim Holtz stamp "Daydream"
Black Archival ink
Twine (Idea-ology)
Sewing Machine
double sided tape 
 
To start take a piece of the 8x8 canvas
 
and fold over approx half an inch and sew a hem 
(I used black cotton for the tutorial so feel free to use a different cotton)
If you want the hem showing at the front then
fold the canvas in half (so the hem is on the inside) sew the side and the base together to make a pocket
then turn it inside out,
It should look something like this below
 
  cut some brown parcel paper,
 stamp the image using Archival ink,
 then cut to size (approx 8x6)
Place the stamped image onto the front of the canvas
 and carefully wrap it around the pocket,
 you can stick it down using double sided tape 
 
I ran a small amount of glossy accents around the base of
the parcel paper and stuck down the vintage lace

I added a little colour by adding some of the Idea-ology jute
And I wanted to make some jute buttons....
pop a blob of glossy accents onto your heat mat
Take some of the jute and roll it into a circle using your fingers....
then place the jute on top of the glossy accents...

 Use some pressure from your finger to help glue it into pace
 When dry you can add them to your pocket
 To finish I took a #stamp and stamped "grateful"
I gently distressed the edges using some of the  distress ink minis
(love those minis!)
 Hope you found the tutorial useful....
 
 
As always feel free to leave a comment....always great to hear from you!
 
Have yourselves a fabulous weekend
 
Kaz x


16 comments:

  1. I love this! I was looking at those TH stamps earlier today. I adore what you did with them and all the bits and bobs. Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That´s great!! Thank you for the tutorial, it´s very useful.
    Greetings from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool idea. Must try and remember this for my Christmas table.

    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful project Kaz. I love the new stamps too. Need to get a few pounds set aside for a spend. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fun! these could be adapted to fit all sorts of themes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fabulous! You are clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks great, I love the little jute buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is different! I LOVE it! I want 6 please! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful and so very different. The lace really finished it off. Loving the jupe string. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Please don't make me "need" those stamps too!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous project Kaz, love the way you have used the new stamps and what a great way to keep your cutlery together. TFS the tutorial xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulously cute idea!
    I also want to congratulate you on your pieces in Tim Holtz latest book. Well done Kaz, you are such a talented lady and really deserve it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a lovely idea x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry I am running behind on my commenting, life seems to get in the way. I love this tutorial... and your project turned out fabulous! You are awesome and I love the little jute buttons... what an awesome idea! Thanks!!! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for passing by the little shabby shed....your comments mean so much xx